Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Ranichauri (Tehri Garhwal) has celebrated September 2018 as National Nutrition Month. Union Ministry of Women and Child Development has announced September 2018 as the National Nutrition Month to mark the country’s fight against malnutrition.
The month-long intensive campaign was undertaken by Krishi Vigyan Kendra in collaboration with IFAD- Integrated Livelihood Support Project, Tehri with an aim of reaching every household with message of nutrition — ‘har ghar poshan tyohar’ (every house a celebration of nutrition). The main objectives of this programme was to attain proper nutritional status among children from 0-6 years, adolescent girls, pregnant women and lactating mothers in a timely manner; reduce stunting, under-nutrition, and anaemia among young children, women, and adolescent girls; and lowering low birth weight by at least 2% per annum.
As per NFHS IV data, 42.8% of children Under 5 years are underweight and 42% are stunted. Only 6.6% children age 6-23 months are receiving an adequate diet. The analysis of the problem suggests that where the child is malnourished, the family including the mother was probably malnourished and hence the National Nutrition Month was celebrated to address malnutrition and the idea of improved quality of nutrition with the aim of healthy, well-nourished people & both social and economic development.
The programme was coordinated by Er. Kirti Kumari (Scientist-Food Technology) & Dr. H.B. Pant (DPM, IFAD-ILSP as co-coordinator). The Programme was celebrated in different villages of Tehri Garhwal district viz Pali, Chopadiyal, Jaripani etc. One big programme has been celebrated as “National Nutrition Day- Naya Uttarakhand Suposhit Uttarakhand” on 27.09.2018 in collaboration with IFAD-Integrated Livelihood Support Project.
The Programme was sponsored by various banks, Swajal Project & Department of Women and Child Welfare. During the programme 600 women/farm women/young girls/children has participated.
The exhibition & Poshan Mela was also organized which was inaugurated by the Chief Guest Mr. Ashish Bhatgain (CDO, Tehri). The programme was chaired by Prof. S.K. Gupta, Dean, College of Forestry, Ranichauri. During the whole programme following activities have conducted.
- Lectures was delivered regarding importance of nutrition among
- Young girls
- Pregnant and lactating mothers
- Elderly women
- Farm women and scientist interaction programmes were organized in different Villages and in KVK, Campus
3 Collaborative Nutrition programmes were organized with CDPO and Aganwari workers
- Radio talk has been conducted at Community Radio Station Hewalvani.
- Mobile advisories have sent to the farm women during the Nutrition Month.
- Method demonstrations for preparing nutrition rich from local available Cereals and Pulses for teenager boys and girls.
- Method demonstrations for preparing nutrient rich and low cost recipes for women.
- Popular articles have been published on the importance of improving nutrition in our daily diet in local newspapers/magazines.
- Literatures have been distributed among farm women
During the whole programme approx.800 women were benefitted. On National Nutrion Day Progressive farm women were awarded by Chief Guest and dignitaries.